The American Education system is recognized the world over as one of the most evolved system of education for the array of in-depth understanding and range it offers. It is however important to familiarize ourselves with their education pattern before we appreciate the foray they have achieved in this field.
• One of the key features of the American system of education is the flexibility it offers through the number and diversity of institution sit has on board. Such an infinite diversity allows students to specialize ina variety of academic disciplines and gain employment training. As of date, there are more than 4500 accredited institutions within the fold of higher education in United States. Unlike other developed countries, the U.S Higher institutions are not centrally affiliated but are accredited on a national or regional level by independent accrediting bodies.
• No matter whether the institution be public, private or community funded students earn credits based on the subjects they opt for and these credits are then added up at the end of the program. Courses are divided into “Core” subject areas which lay the basic foundation and “Major’” which the students specialise in particularly. Students also opt for “Electives”: to explore other subjects of interest for a holistic educational experience.
• The academic calendar in United States typically runs from September to May and is divided into two semesters of 16-18 weeks. Some schools, however may have trimester system of multiple terms of 10-12 weeks. With the immense range and variety available in the U.S, students are bound to find something that fits in with their aptitude, tastes and interest.
• Before approaching Higher Education at College and University level, the average American completes about 12 years of Primary and Secondary School for a combined aggregate of 12 years. Their foray into formal education starts from the age of 6 at the first grade and continues up to High School till the 12th grade. The first few years are termed as the ‘Elementary School’ which children attend for 5 to 6 years before venturing into Secondary School. The Secondary School phase is further sub-divided into two phases, first which is “Middle School / Junior High School” and second one is “High School”.
• At the end of the “High School” years, a degree or certificate is awarded on graduating from the 12th grade. Students may then opt for higher or College level education which in U.S parlance is termed as ‘Higher education’.
• Higher education in United States boasts of such elite private colleges such as Harvard University, Stanford University, MIT, and Caltech, large state flagship universities, private liberal arts schools, historically-black colleges and universities, community colleges, and for-profit colleges like University of Phoenix.
• The high quality of education in U,S attracts scholars and meritorious students from across the globe to avail the opportunity to be guided by the best mentors , meet and interact with brilliant peers and get access to knowledge and contact which is unparalleled elsewhere.
• The academic world in U.s is more interactive and hands-on tan in any other country and students are free to indulge in free discussion and open debates. The environment of free thinking and open dissent and sharing of differences helps to broaden the mind and provide a more wholesome education.
• The flip side, however is the high cost of education over there, reaching up to $50,000. However, State sponsored sand private scholarship schemes go a long way is easing the burden for deserving students.
English Grammar and Composition
From The Educational System of US to HOME PAGE
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.